THESE FACTS ARE KNOWN: the Double Quartet was founded in the 1920s as the top eight men in the Amherst College Glee Club. The members toured and sang with the Glee Club on its travels around the country, but concluded each concert with a set of its own music. The group disbanded during World War Two, and reformed, independent of the Glee Club, in 1947. After two decades of singing locally and internationally, the group disbanded once more due to the loss of many members to graduation in the late 1960s. But the DQ began anew in 1985, this time without restricting themselves to the mathematical limitations of their name. In 1996, the DQ underwent yet another transformation as they became Amherst’s first co-ed a cappella group.
Choose a decade to learn more about the DQ over the years, with information from first-hand sources, including DQ recordings and Amherst College Olios.